Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Meldy Delos Santos for Monster Scholar Second Sem SY 2012-2013

Help will always come to those who need and deserve it.

Sometimes, we need to exert extra effort and a little bit of perseverance to get the help that we needed.

This blogpost is dedicated to Meldy Delos Santos, an aspiring graduating student, hoping and praying
to become a Monster Scholar of RX 93.1.



I would like to channel her story in this blogpost through her best friend, Angela.


THE APPEAL OF A BEST FRIEND

I am Angela (ok fine Angel  Rhayne LOL) , an avid listener of Monster Radio RX 93.1 applying for Monster Scholar for School Year 2012-2013 Second semester for my Best Friend Meldy Delos Santos (24y.o.). I am hoping you would give me a chance to help my Best Friend. I don’t know how to tell her story, so I will just try to tell her story based on what she told me, and based on what I know.

THE STORY OF A STRUGGLING LADY

We’ve been best friends since Freshmen in high school. I met her when I got transferred to Dumarao National High School back in 2001. She was a Valedictorian in Elementary. She has 1 younger sibling and from a broken family. They aren’t receiving any help from her father and their only source of income is her mother’s small business which is selling Bananas and Dried Fish. Their income is so little and often just enough for food. They don’t even have electricity at home (Until now, especially in the province, it really cost to have electricity connected).  At that time her sister has just been born. She then knows that they need to prioritize her sister’s needs because she is still an infant then. As the Eldest Child, she knows she needs to help, so she promised herself that she will do everything to help her Family. And pursuing her education was her first step. By 3rd year high school she already started to work part time with her aunt in Ilo-ilo just so she can continue her studies. She was able to continue her studies until 1st year college. Unfortunately her aunt got really ill and can no longer help her in her studies. Another relative again offered her help; Her aunt (her mother’s cousin) who has a small Service Center Business in Manila. The setup is; Her Tuition fee is her Salary. For Example 6000 fee = 2 months salary (3k/month). She accepted the offer because she really wanted to finish her studies and send help to her family. That’s when she went here in Manila. She worked for her aunt as a house helper/secretary for a year before they enrolled back her to college. It took so long because her aunt’s husband doesn’t approve of sending her to school. They kept on arguing about Meldy but in the end her aunt still enrolled her to college. She took Business Admin at New Era University. But since she was a transferee she then became an irregular student. As hard working and as a determined person as she is; she tried to work the schedule and tasks. From housekeeping to working at the office to going to school. Her Uncle still do not approve the setup. They continued arguing about it and about helping Meldy the whole time. After a total of 7 years in college finally there’s only few units left and then she can graduate. The problem was she would need to take a couple of courses ahead before she can take the rest. She talked to her aunt about it and she asks if she can enroll this summer  (Last summer 2012)to get a couple of course (She don’t normally enroll on class during summer). Her Aunt agreed for her to enroll so she can take the rest of the courses for the first semester 2012 and then she can Graduate by October 2012. But the inevitable issue came to life again with her aunt’s husband disapproval of her going for a summer class. Her aunt tried to fight for Meldy and things got pretty serious to the point that they were really fighting. Meldy can’t stand to see her aunt being hurt and she then realized she doesn’t want to be the reason of their fight anymore. So after that serious scene she got to talk to her aunt. She told her that as much as she wanted to finish her studies she also can no longer take it seeing her aunt being hurt every time they fight. She told her aunt that she will try her luck and look for a job and a place to stay. Just so they stop fighting. She assured her aunt that she can contact her whenever they need her help. Her aunt agreed.

THE BEST FRIEND’S HELPING HAND

That’s when Meldy contacted me and asked for my Help. She told me the story and asked if she can stay in my place for a while. I told her its ok for her to stay. I asked what her plan is and she told me she wanted to look for a job first so she can help with the expenses and save money for her studies. I referred her then to a small time Outsource company I know who accepts beginners. It is a small time Call Center so to speak the only difference is the pay is too low and they have no benefits offered. But since she doesn’t have call center experience yet and she needs to have a job as soon as possible; so she applied there. She is working there till now both to get experience and to support her everyday living expenses and to save for her schooling. But I know myself that her salary is not enough. She still sends some money to help her family in Dumarao Capiz which is understandable. That’s what makes me decide to ask help on behalf of her. I saw where she is coming from. I can really relate to what she is going through right to because I’ve been there. I actually am there.

WHY SHE DESERVES TO BECOME A MONSTER’S SCHOLAR?

Some people say that you don’t need a diploma to get a job. Maybe, but if you are aiming for success and if you aim not just to help yourself but also help your starving family, of course you would want to aim for a better job. A job that can be able to support you and your family. And as an undergraduate its really hard to look for that kind of job. There’s a lot of competition and discrimination around. Me, I needed to stop my studies in college, that’s almost 6 years ago. I still want to continue my studies even if I stopped for that long because I still aim for a better life for me and my family. I also hope someday to wear that toga and get that diploma, you know. That’s why I really understand where she is coming from. I don’t know how to really say it. Imagine, just few units and she’s gonna be there graduating accepting her diploma and using it as a key for brighter future. In tagalog “konting konti nalang mararating na nya yung tagumpay”.As her best friend I don’t want to see us both stuck in where we are right now. I really want to help her and this is the least thing that I can do. She is not just a Best Friend to me, she is like a sister and even a mirror sometimes. Im sorry if this went like a roller coaster. I just really don’t know how this goes. I hope you can help me help her. I hope you can give her a chance. She have been struggling to finish her college for 7 years now. 7 years she didn’t give up on finding ways. And still she is not giving up. I know, I can feel it. I can see it in her. Her story and her struggle is very inspiring even to me. I am confident that she is deserving of your help. Thank you for reading this and thank you  in advance for  giving her a chance.

17 comments:

  1. Her story is so inspiring and I'm sure, she'll succeed in the work in the work environment with her kind of determination. I hope she gets the scholarship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspiring story,at her age she suffered a lot. Emotionally bothered by the loss of love from people who are called to be part of her family.(I am referring to her Uncle). Hope she will be given the chance to be part of MONSTER's SCHOLAR. God will guide her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspiring indeed! Hopefully, things will work out for her. May she always persevere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaka-touch naman ang story. She deserves to earn a degree and better future. Minsan talaga, mapagbiro ang tadhana, yung may pera ayaw mag-aral, yung salat naman sa salapi ang napag-kakaitan ng magandang bukas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for Reading this guys O:) Lets hope that shw will be chosen as a Monster Scholar

    ReplyDelete
  6. really inspiring.. I hope she gets it. Will include her in my prayers. She deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no doubts that she will succeed considering how she was able to reach this point and is still trying. I hope she gets the scholarship and I hope someone who has more than enough and reads this article can offer to help her finish her education.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know some kids who are really fortunate in life but they tend to stray away.. But I hope they get to meet someone like Angela, especially Meldy. Meldy deserves to have the Monster Scholar just for her patience and determination alone. Scholarships such as this deserve to be given to hardworking people, those who know how to appreciate the little things that are given to them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also crossing fingers for her! Someone like Meldy deserve a scholarship and opportunities. I envy a friend like Angela too, she's really very supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. But how can we help her become a Monster scholar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want to become a sponsor you can contact MonsterRadio RX93.1 directly via email at scholar@rx931.com .. or you Can also Send your Donations Through The Morning Rushers.. thank you in advance.

      Delete
    2. here is the link for donations via The Morning Rushers. You can indicate that its for Meldy Delos Santos

      https://plus.google.com/113514006730891178178/posts

      Delete
  11. i will include her in my prayer! i hope she will get this! she deserves this. i am really touch with her story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. After reading her story, I believe she deserves more than a scholarship.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whew! A tear just dropped... I really hope she gets the scholarship. I hope Chico & Del and the people behind this program could see through their hearts that Meldy really deserves this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a heartfelt story. She deserves the scholarship and I'm sure, she will get the good news soon. May our Good Lord bless her with more opportunities to pursue her dreams.

    ReplyDelete

Say Something