Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Do You Believe in Tiktik? The Myths of Tiktik: The Aswang Chronicles


If there’s a breed of Aswang that has been left out for generation, I may say it’s a Tiktik. Yes we heard about Manananggal, Vampires, zombies and other groups of Aswang in the mainstream, but Tiktik, I don’t think people from Luzon area, especially the new generation know about Tiktik.

Tiktik is different among any other groups of Aswang because this is more famous in the Visayas-Mindanao area. I may say, this is our own version of Aswang. Tiktik is no longer an underground name nowadays especially now that they made a movie about it starring Dingdong Dantes.



The name Tiktik is derived from the eerie sound of a bird, a different kind of bird, something sinister and creepy. I have my own accounts about Tiktik based on the stories shared to me by relatives and those who encountered it. But in the movie Tiktik: The Aswang Chronicles, I have noted some beliefs and myths about Tiktik which I dare to agree based on the stories from old folks.

1. When you hear the Tiktik sound, the fainter it is, the closer

This is something I really could not forget about Tiktik. If you hear the sound “tik..tik..tik..tik….”, it’s not a bird, it’s not a lizard, it’s a Tiktik. You have to listen carefully, if it’s too loud, do not panic, that means the devourer is far from your location. But if it is too faint that you can hardly hear it, it’s time to pack up and prepare your best defense, they are just a few meters away from you, or maybe inches.

2. They are not afraid of BAWANG, they just can’t stand the smell of it

If you think Tiktik are afraid of bawang, you are wrong, they just can’t stand the smell of it. Tiktik sense of smell is very sensitive that they can’t just take smelling the odor of the garlic.

3. They can be killed by Buntot Pagi



You can use a sword, you can use a salt, you can use a knife or a gun, but the best and the most effective defense against tiktik is BUNTOT PAGI. Every whip of this fatal weapon is dangerous to every living Tiktik in the world.

Tiktik are always after pregnant women, because for them, unborn babies are the best food ever. So next time you encountered a Tiktik, you know the sign and you know how to defeat them.

28 comments:

  1. I've watch the trailer of this film on a hit pinoy movie last month, everything was well.. at least ok yet when I started to see the "effects" I quite felt embarrass they shouldn't have inserted such if it's never that good enough, anyways, tiktik are true yet I believe its some kind of a bird rather than an aswang .. we just dunno! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but let's just consider the story, it's culture-rich

      Delete
  2. The film looks impressive and I'll try to watch this movie. This was also informative about Tiktik and combating them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once experience to hear a tiktik in once when my sister is pregnant,, the sound of tiktik really is creepy and yeah I kinda believe in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would really really like to watch the movie of this. But unfortunately I can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. why not?... you can watch Tiktik Online too

      Delete
  5. Love the effects of this movie.Finally a proudly Pinoy made horror movie with great effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, something new and something we can be proud of

      Delete
  6. Around this time, the Tiktik congregation is already planning a way on how to counter buntot pagi, asin and bawang :) Messing around.. I've watched this movie and the artworks are far beyond what we used to see in a usual pinoy aswang movie. The step up was awesome, but still a lot of other things need to be improved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaaha... you made me laugh at this..

      Delete
  7. I have yet to watch this movie despite raves from the blogsphere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard that 'tumabo sa takilya' ang film na ito. no wonder very timely ang release. Friends who have watched it, say the film is' maganda ang pagkakagawa. going back to your question if I do believe in Tiktik, my answer is an emphatic YES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as per report and tally, yes, it's true, but not that really big

      Delete
  9. Been hearing that it's pretty good according to a friend of mine. Might need to find time to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maganda lang kasi ang concept coz it's factual

      Delete
  10. movies such as this show how abundant the Philippine culture is... thanks for this article

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe in Tik tik. i grew up in the province and i heard a lot about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A heard stories about it but mainly in movies and folklore. I grew up in the city so its not much in "fashion" here compared to the rural areas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I heard stories about Tiktik but I dont believe they exists, About the movie- i found it more of a comedy than horror as many were claiming :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not sure I'm interested, Lol! I'd rather watch Romantic Comedies than movies about aswangs lol!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not much into horror films especially that the few times I can watch is always with my children. I also don't want to scare myself as my imagination tends to get the better of me after watching such films.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like scaring myself watching scary movies lol. I've seen some old local movies with a tiktik character in it. Used to scare me as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have watched Tiktik Aswang Chronicles, it didn't scare me, story naman pang pinoy , sense of culture identity, it has humor pa! i admire Direk Erik for the special effects, computer-generated visuals , resembling the hollywood production. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aswang, manananggal is really known here Mindanao. So far I have not see yet but there are lots of stories from my ancestors.

    ReplyDelete

Say Something